Hi! 👋 I am a field botanist and Certified Ecological Restoration Practitioner working in the Chicago region. At Northwestern University, I studied environmental sciences with a focus on plant biology and conservation. After that, I worked for 8 years at an ecological consulting firm with projects for government agencies, non-profits, and private clients located throughout the Midwest. I now work for the Chicago Park District as part of the Environmental Conservation & Engagement team.
Aside from studying and restoring natural areas, one of the things I most enjoy is helping the average person realize that natural spaces, even in urban areas, are diverse, beautiful, and worthy of our protection and care.
- February 4th, 2021: iNaturalist and the City Nature Challenge, Chicago Wilderness Cafe (register here)
- April 28th, 2021: “Learning about Nature with iNaturalist” for the Skokie Public Library (register here)
- April 30th – May 3rd, 2021: City Nature Challenge!
- June 21st, 2021: “iNaturalist Workshop” at the Morton Arboretum (registration TBA)
Looking for a speaker?
I’m happy to speak about or teach workshops on the following topics. Get in touch!
- habitat restoration → planning, implementing, and monitoring prairie, wetland, savanna, and woodland restoration projects in the Midwest United States; performance standards for ecosystem restoration assessment; seed and plant mix design
- plant identification → intro to botany; Midwest US flowering plants including native and non-native species, invasive species, tree and shrubs; tools for plant ID; taxonomy; botanical terminology
- iNaturalist → intro to iNaturalist, all-day indoor/outdoor iNaturalist workshops, using iNaturalist for citizen science projects, advanced iNaturalist tools
If you’ve got ideas or opportunities, shoot me an email!